Tax refund from the UK

Settle your tax paid in the United Kingdom with us

If you worked legally in the UK, you can apply for a refund of overpaid tax!

We provide professional advice as an authorized agent of the British tax authority. In order to facilitate the preparations for the settlement, we provide below the most important aspects of the procedure, and a list of required documents.

If you want to get more detailed information about the settlement, please fill in the contact form. Our consultant will call you within 24 hours.

Why entrust us with the settlement of tax in Great Britain?

15 years of experience

Tax-Pol is one of the oldest Polish companies helping in the settlements with the British Inland Revenue. Owing to the experience gained by

read more zamknij
The lack of effects means the lack of fees

We believe that we should not charge any commission if there are no effects, therefore we charge the commission for tax refund from the UK only after the application is considered

read more zamknij
Security guarantee

The way in which we store personal data meets the stringent requirements set by the Inspector General for Personal Data Protection.

read more zamknij

Procedure for obtaining tax refund from the UK

In order to submit your tax return to the British tax authority, we are going to need some information from you. To this end, please:

  • fill out the form on the right. After its completion, we will send to your e-mail a set of documents to be printed out.
  • fill out the larger form which you will find on this site ». After its completion, a set of completed documents ready to be printed out will be automatically sent to your e-mail address.
  • download and print the documents available on this site ».
  • If you cannot print the documents, let us know, we will send them to you by traditional post.

Forms should be completed with the missing information and signed. Please remember to attach a copy of your identity card or passport and original tax cards (more information on tax cards below).

You can send us the full set of documents by traditional post or bring them in person to our office.

Having received the documents, we will promptly prepare and submit your tax return in the British HM Revenue & Customs.

The tax authority will issue your income tax assessment.

After the decision, the tax refund from the UK will be transferred to your bank account.

Questions and answers on tax refund from England

1. What documents do I need to recover the tax paid in the UK?

In order to apply for a tax refund from the UK, you need a statement of earnings. There are three types of statements:

P45  is issued when the employment finishes. If the employee starts work for a new employer during the same fiscal year, (s)he should give the new employer the P45 statement received from the previous employer, keeping only the first page (Part 1A).

P60  is issued to each employee at the end of the fiscal year. P60 form should contain data on the full-year (from 6 April 6 to 5 April) earnings of the employee, received both from the current employer and from previous employers for whom (s)he worked in the same fiscal year. P60 statement is given to employees who are employed on 5 April. If someone quits before that date, (s)he receives only P45.

Payslip – i.e. the settlement of weekly pay. If you have got neither P45 nor P60, the settlement can be based on payslips. However, due to the fact that for the tax authority these are not the basis for the settlement, you will need to contact the employer to obtain your Statement of Earnings or P11 (replacement documents). Payslips contain a breakdown of weekly earnings. In the UK, it is common to refer to numbered calendar weeks. According to this principle, the first week of the year is marked with number 1, and the last one – with 52. Week number is usually provided on the Payslip. Payslip contains information about the income of the week and total earnings since the beginning of the settlement period, which is the beginning of employment or the beginning of the fiscal year if the employment started earlier. Therefore, the payslip for the last week of work is the most interesting one because it contains overall information about earnings.

2. When can I apply for a tax refund?

You can apply for tax refund even during the fiscal year, which in Britain starts on 6 April and ends on 5 April of the following year. Condition: you are not going to work any longer in the UK in the settled fiscal year. Otherwise, the settlement can be made after 5 April. Tax declarations can be submitted to the British tax authority for the last 4 years, for example from 6 April 2014 we make statements for the following years: 2013/2014, 2012/2013, 2011/2012, 2010/2011. Fiscal year 2009/2010 can be settled only by 5 April 2014!

3. Is it possible to recover the tax if it was paid only at one of two employers?

Yes, it is. Total earnings from both employers have to be declared to the tax authority.

4. What can I do if I have not got P45/P60 or the final payslip? Is information about employers enough to recover taxes?

We would like to emphasize the fact that it is in your best interest to obtain P45/P60 from your employer, which will facilitate and accelerate the process of tax recovery.

If you have not got P45/P60, ask your employer to issue it.

5. Will I face any problems in the future when I want to start work in the UK if I apply for tax refund?

Absolutely not. This has no influence on your future work in the UK.

6. Can I apply for a tax refund if I have not got any NIN (National Insurance Number)?

Yes, although the process may be relatively longer in the absence of NIN because contact with the tax authority is difficult and limited to correspondence.

7. How long does the process of tax recovery take?

Usually, it takes a minimum of approx. 3 months from the moment of sending completed forms to us. However, this period may be extended if the tax authority needs additional information.

The waiting time for the tax return depends on the settling companies only to a small extent. No company can influence the tax authority to treat its cases as a priority. Therefore, “the fastest refunds” as declared by some companies are just a deceptive publicity stunt and do not correspond to reality.

8. What determines the amount of refund that I will receive?

The amount of refund for which we can apply depends on several factors, i.a. on the amount of your total income, the period of residence, the place of work. Also, having children affects the amount of refund. The way of applying for the refund is important too. Trying to settle the tax on your own, you can make mistakes, which will result in a lower refund. As specialists in British tax, we guarantee you the refund of the highest possible recoverable amount. Use the CACULATOR on our website to calculate the tax refund.

Recover extra money – check other services!

  • Child Benefit
  • Self-employment
  • Settlement of seafarers

Child Benefit

You have got children and work in the UK? Check what conditions you have to meet in order to apply for the British Child Benefit. You can obtain up to nearly GBP 1,000 per year.

See more »


Persons running their own business in the UK, the so-called Self Employment, have the same income tax threshold as persons employed under a contract of employment. Self-employed people, however, must necessarily submit their tax return every year. If you had not settled your tax on time and the British tax authority had charged a penalty, we can help you in its cancellation. Check other information about tax settlements of the self-employed.

See more »

Settlement of seafarers

Seafarers are among the lucky ones who, if they meet a few conditions, can recover all the income tax paid in the UK. We are eager to assist you in obtaining your tax refund from the UK. Click the link below to get more information about all the procedures.

See more »